Born in the "Hundred-windowed house"
Born in the "Hundred-windowed house"
Was commissioned into engineers Jul 28, 1769.
"A gentleman in the audience, who is an expert on Lowestoft porcelain, said he was so interested in the Durnford connection because he has a Lowestoft sugarbowl which bears the arms of Durnford and Isaacson and was obviously made for Andrew Durnford and Jemima Isaacson. He & his wife had to rush off for their train, but he has promised to send us the paper he wrote about it, so I will send you a copy if/when it arrives.
"P.S. ...Lowestoft is a small seaside resort in Suffolk, England"
from Maureen (&Jimmy) Beasley, 56 Smithy Lane, Lower Kingswood, Tadworth, Surrey, ENGLAND, KT20 6T4
"We now know that a sucrier of Lowestoft porcelain was made for Andrew Durnford, surveyor; also that one of his brothers, Clark Durnford, was a London dealer in Lowestoft wares and that another of his brothers, Elias, married Rebecca Walker, who was the daughter of a Lowestoft china factory partner."
Last Will and Testament is located at: d:\Personal\Cynthia\genealogy\Andrewburmudawill.doc
Died before his court martial
Died of yellow fever?
St George's Parish
Taken sometime between 1783 and 180
Freeholders Persons in Possession Acres Estate Value
Tucker, Col Geo.(dec) Durnford, Capt Andrew L 1,154
"A Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland states that he is the youngest son of Elias Sr.
"Captain Andrew Durnford wrote two wills in Bermuda in September 1798. One was proved in Bermuda 29 days later, leaving property in Bermuda to his "good friend" and a string of children, and the other was also proved in Bermuda but three months later, leaving property in England to his wife and children there.
"Brother of Elias Durnford, he was born at the "Hundred Windowed House," Fordingham, Hants on April 4, 17744. He obtained his commission in the Royal Engineers on July 28, 1769 and the next year he was appointed Assistant Commissary to superintend the demolition of the fortifications and canal of Dunkirk, according to the terms of the Treaty of 1763. He was selected for this office from his well known talents as draftsman and engineer, having been employed for some years at the Tower under Colonel Desmaretz. On leaving Dunkirk in 1774 he was next engaged for 2 years on the defenses at Plymouth, and in 1776 he sailed for America, where he served throughout the War beginning with Burgoyne's Expedition of 1777 where he served with his cousin Desmaretz Durnford. Then he worked for his brother in 1779 as the Deputy Assistant Quartermaster-General in Georgia and West Florida until 1783. He visited Bermuda on his way back from New York on 1783 and made a survey and report on the islands. From 1784 to 1787 he was Chief Engineer at Chatham, with the rank of Captain-Lieutenant. In 1788 he was selected to fortify the forts of Bermuda. He was the first British engineer sent to the station. He was promoted to the rank of Captain and later to Major. He remained at Bermuda till his death in 1798. (19th Century British Magazine "Notes & Queries" www.rootsweb.com/~bmuwgw/notesandqueries.htm)
"While in Bermuda (10 years) he was much involved in politics and was the first mayor of St. George's. He built a fine home and warehouse on the western edge of the town. He ran afoul with Governor Henry Hamilton's replacement, Crauford. Governor Crauford dismissed Durnford in 1795 after disagreements. His last three years were spent under "Suspension from Rank & Pay...Promotion stopt in the Corps of Engineers, & every Mortification that can be accumulated on the head of a Military Man-I have felt.' The matter was only resolved on Durnford's death. [Bermuda Forts; Edward Cecil Harris]
"Unfortunately in 1796 he was suspended for padding his payroll and held for court martial. Specific charges were that he and diverted funds to build Queen's Warehouse (still in use) and a house in St. George's Town, of which was the first Mayor. He did on 10 September 1798 still awaiting trial and protesting his innocence. [A Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland; Sir Alec Skempton, Mike Chrimes]
"From 1789 until 1791, Durnford lived in Stewart Hall with his mistress Elizabeth Lucas, with whom he had six children. In 1791 he purchased land on Stile Hill and set to work the following year building a grand house of his own design now known as Durnford. Durnford's parish assessments suggest that it took two years to complete the house. His assessment leaped from 750 pounds in 1792 to 1,490 pounds in 1794 and climbed further to 3,565 pounds the following year. With its perfectly symmetrical layout, the massive square two story structure was a model of Georgian design. If original, the house has the oldest documented use of keystones over the windows....below the cliff to the south, Andrew Durnford built a wharf, storehouse, fishpond and bathing house. Many of the Captain's contemporaries were more than a little suspicious about the source of the building materials used in the house and wharf, since Durnford was in charge of rebuilding the island's forts. The stone in the walls of Durnford, far thicker than any other private residence, was probably intended for public use, so it is not surprising that Durnford's enemies referred to this house as the colony's "Fifth Fort." In October 1797 Andrew Durnford became the first Mayor of the newly incorporated Town of St. George. He died shortly before his term expired and left two wills. In the first he left his house and land in England to his wife Jemima and two sons, while in the second he gave his new house and land in Bermuda to his "good friend" Elizabeth Lucas and their four surviving children. Lucas who took the name Durnford after Andrew's death, tried repeatedly to rent or sell the huge house with little success. After her children had come of age, in 1814 Elizabeth Lucas Durnford purchased a small lot to the east of the house and built a cottage where she lived. Three of the children moved to the United States while the fourth, merchant James A. Durnford, mortgaged his share and eventually lost it through foreclosure. In 1844 and 1845 merchant John Davenport, the alleged hoarder of gold who owned the Esten House, bought each child's share and reunited the property after 30 years. [Bermuda Architectural Heritage: St. George's]" -- www.durnfordfamily.com